Listing a few common causes of bad breath in humans:
Some people may wonder why their still experiencing bad breath even after brushing their teeth. Here are some ideas why.
One of the main causes of bad breath is Bacteria:
Bad breath can happen due to hundreds of bad bacteria living in the mouth. Bacteria grow in the mouth by feeding on the food left in your mouth and leaves as foul-smelling waste product behind.
Another common cause of bad breath is Dry mouth:
Sometimes your oral cavity glands may not be producing enough saliva. Saliva is important because it works around the clock to wash out your mouth. Dry mouth can be caused by certain medication, salivary gland problems, mouth breathing, using a sleep apnea machine, and much more. stay tuned for future articles on what products you can use to treat your dry mouth.
You may be brushing your teeth everyday but still experiencing bath breath. The bad breath and bad taste in your mouth can be a warning sign of advanced gum disease, which is caused by sticky, cavity causing bacteria. Also bacteria related to gingivitis or periodontal disease.
Some Foods that may cause bad breath in most people are :
- the list of breath-offending foods is long, and what you eat affects the air you exhale.
Smoking and tobacco:
Smoking stains your teeth, give you bad breath and puts in you risk for major health problems. Tobacco reduces your saliva flow, therefore leaving you with smoky dry breath.
Medical conditions such as (sinus problems, gastric reflux, diabetes, digestive problems, allergies, candida albicans, Sjogrens syndrome, liver or kidney disease). Speak to your medical professional about any concerns you may have.
How to keep bad breath away?
Here are some bad breath in home remedies listed:
- Floss and brush everyday twice a day
- Brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper to clear them out
- Mouthwash can help reduce bad bacteria ( always follow instructions on how often to use your mouthwash or consult with your dental hygienist)
- Remove your dentures/partials at night to give your oral cavity a chance to get some air. Clean your dentures with cleaning tablets thoroughly at night ( example product : Polident )
- If using Invisalign make sure to clean your trays gently everyday before placing them back into your mouth
- If you have dry mouth, keep your mouth moist by using products recommended by your dentist or dental hygienist. ( example product : Biotene )
- Drink lots of water and keep hydrated
- Keep a healthy diet
- Quit smoking
Visit your Dentist and Dental Hygienist regularly as that will help you achieve and maintenance a good oral health for life. Don’t be afraid to ask questions