Recently I have been noticing many people are trying the Keto Diet. I personally do not like to call anything a diet because that means restrictions, and I do not do well with restrictions. However I am always open to trying new diet’s as a lifestyle change to improve my health and wellness.
Lets dive into more details…
How does the Keto Diet work?
The Keto diet works in a way to force your body into using a different type of fuel. It relies on ketone bodies which is a type of fuel that is produced by the liver from stored fat.
What is the Keto Diet?
The Ketogenic diet is a low carb, high fat diet. This means reducing your carbohydrate intake and replacing is with healthy fats. By doing this your body goes into a metabolic state turning of ketosis ( turning fat into ketones)
Why choose the keto diet?
Based on information given if this is the right diet for you all I can say is there has been many research done that have shown results. Even better I have witnessed many of my patients lose weight and feel great by changing their lifestyle to a keto lifestyle .
NOTE : Always consult your doctor before making a major lifestyle change
How can the Keto Diet improve your overall health?
Ketogenic diets can cause massive reductions in blood sugar and insulin levels. which is most beneficial to diabetic type 2 and prediabetic patients.
A Few Health benefits From Having A Keto Diet:
There has been studies done that have shown improvement in health….
- Heart disease: Improve risk factors like body fat, HDL cholesterol levels, blood pressure and blood sugar
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Aids in weight loss
- Reducing symptoms of Parkinson’s disease
- Brain injuries: One animal study found that the diet can reduce concussions and aid recovery after brain injury
- Acne: eating less sugar or processed foods can help improve acne
What Foods Are Included In The Keto Diet?
Keto Diet Foods:
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured or omega-3 whole eggs.
- Meat: Red meat, steak,sausage, bacon, chicken,turkey, ham etc.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies, Peppers tomatoes, etc.
- Butter: grass fed if possible.
- Cream : grass fed if possible
- Cheese: Unprocessed cheese (cheddar, goat, cream, blue or mozzarella).
- Nuts : Almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds,chia seeds, etc.
- Healthy oils: Coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil.
- Avocados: Whole avocados.
- Condiments: salt, pepper and all the healthy herbs and spices.
Tip: Try to get good quality, organic, hormone free animal protein
Foods To Avoid During The Keto Diet:
- Sugary foods : candy, cake, cookies, etc
- Unhealthy fats: Limit amount of intake
- Low-fat or diet products
- Grains or starches : Such as rice, pasta and breads
- Fruit: All fruit
- Alcohol: includes carb and sugar , therefore can throw you out of ketosis
- Beans or legumes
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, carrots , etc
- Some condiments or sauces: Such as ketchup and barbecue sauce due to their high content of sugar and fat
- Sugar-free diet foods: These are often high in sugar alcohols and high in carbs
Example of a Keto Diet menu :
Breakfast: Eggs + tomatoes + goat cheese + cup of coffee with cream
Lunch: Chicken + salad + olive oil
Dinner: Homemade lettuce wrap burger + freshly made guacamole+ add a little crispy bacon for texture and taste
Snack: Handfull of nuts and veggies
Note: Drinking plenty of water and having a good amount of low carbohydrate veggies is key
I have to be super honest, I have a major sweet tooth that no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get away from. I would say that is one of the reasons why I fail to stick to a no sugar diet. However i have finally found my absolute favorite healthy product to replace my sugary treats with.
As many of you know now there are many small businesses that have come up with Keto products to make you feel like your not restricted from baked goods. Keto Candy Girl was one of the products that really caught my attention after baking a few of her Keto products . Their absolutely delicious and satisfy those sweet tooth cravings you may have.
Keto Candy Girl
Keto Candy Girl Has A Variety Of Product Mixes That You Can Bake From :
Keto diet recipes also included on her website..
- Peanut butter cookies
- Chocolate chip cookies
- Lemon bars
- Magic bars
- Snickerdoodle cookies
Visit Keto Candy Girl website for more information…
Hope this article helps you get a easy start on the Keto Diet
Please share with us your keto journey…