Are any of you suffering from Acid reflux. I am here to talk about some symptoms that you may be having as well as some medicinal and natural remedies.
Acid reflux is when acid that is normally in your stomach backs up into your esophagus. Another term for this is “gastroesophageal reflux disease” or GERD.
What are some symptoms you may have:
- Acid taste in throat
- Stomach pain
- Chest pain
- Trouble swallowing
- Sore throat
- Dental issues
What can you do to help your symptoms?
- If you are overweight or obese (BMI 26+) then losing weight can help
- Raise the head of your bed 6-8 inches
- Avoiding triggers (such as citrus, marinara/tomato based foods, coffee, chocolate, alcohol, peppermint and fatty/greasy foods)
- I find that in my practice coffee is one of the number one triggers. Try to reduce or stop drinking coffee and see how you feel.
- Tobacco cessation if you are a smoker
- Antacids such as Tums, but this is a short term treatment
- Histamine blockers such as Zantac (ranitidine) and/or Pepcid are longer acting and over the counter
- proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole, pantoprazole, etc) are most effected can be over the counter or prescribed.
Home remedies/Natural Remedies
- Apple cider vinegar(1 tbsp in glass of water before or after meals can help reduce symptoms of reflux)
- Ginger ( anti-inflammatory, can help with nausea that comes with reflux symptoms as well)
- Aloe vera juice (anti-inflammatory effects)
- Turmeric(GERD can be caused by inflammation, tumeric is both anti-inflammatory and an anti-oxidant)
- Camomile Tea ( helps reduce stress related to reflux)
- Bananas ( bland, low acid fruit that can be gentle digestive system)
- Peppermint ( helps relax the stomach, can cause increase in reflux in some people so try it and see what it does for you)
Of course if you are experiencing symptoms please contact your health professional. I hope you found this useful.